The American Revolutionary War Era Residency is offered to students each Fall, under the direction of Dr. Gregory Edwards of the NFC Lakewood/Jamestown Unit, in collaboration with Dr. Paul Miller and Dr. Karen Garner. The residency is open to all students college-wide. The purpose of this study is to give students the opportunity to survey the history of the American Revolutionary era from the end of the Seven Years War until the end of the War of 1812, and introduce them to the major historical issues of this Era such as the causes of the war, the relationship between the First Great Awakening, the Enlightenment, the Renaissance, and the Revolution; the factors behind America’s triumph in the war; Revolutionary Ideology and the Institution of Slavery; “The Critical Period in American History;” the Creation and Ratification of the US Constitution, The Origins and Character of the First National Party System in America; the Causes and Course of the War of 1812.
The students will participate in a two-day residency in the vicinity of Saratoga Springs, NY. A one-day field trip to the Saratoga National Historical Park is planned as part of the residency. During the rest of the residency, the students will participate in a variety of mini-seminars (at a hotel TBD in the vicinity of Saratoga Springs, NY) addressing some of the major issues of the Revolutionary Era in America. All students will be responsible for giving an oral presentation during one of the mini-seminars or at the Saratoga battlefield (Saratoga National Historical Park), based on a research paper that he/she has completed for their particular course.
The courses that are being offered that will include this American Revolutionary War Residency learning activity will all cover the core topic: America in the Age of Revolutions and Constitutions, 1763-1816. Students will also be able to choose a particular study title to further focus on in their particular course. These titles might include the following:
- America in the Age of Revolutions and Constitutions: Biographies of the Founding Father
- America in the Age of Revolutions and Constitutions: Religion in the Revolutionary Era
- America in the Age of Revolutions and Constitutions: Slavery and the Founding
- America in the Age of Revolutions and Constitutions: Women and the Revolution
- America in the Age of Revolutions and Constitutions: Constitutional History
- America in the Age of Revolutions and Constitutions: Federalists and Jeffersonians
- America in the Age of Revolutions and Constitutions: Military History
When students enroll for one of the American Revolutionary Era Residency courses, a residency fee will automatically be attached to each student’s tuition bill to cover the following costs during the residency: lodging, meals, and group bus transportation to/from the hotel to the Saratoga Battlefield. Students will be responsible for getting themselves to and from the TBD hotel in the vicinity of Saratoga Springs, NY.
More information can be obtained through your Primary Mentor or by calling the NFC Lakewood/ Jamestown Unit at (716) 338-1508.
A limited number of spaces for guests and/or alumni may be available. For more information, please contact Paula Barber, Lakewood/Jamestown Secretary, at 716-338-1508 or Paula.Barber@esc.edu.
Tentative Itinerary (subject to change)
(Students will be provided with the detailed itinerary once registered.)
|1 - 2 p.m.||Residency Registration and hotel check-in. Refreshments and light snack provided. Participants are responsible for getting themselves to and from the hotel (to be determined) located near Saratoga Springs, NY. Details and directions will be provided ahead of time.|
|2 - 3 p.m.||Intro and Seminar 1|
|3 - 4:30 p.m.||Seminar 2|
|4:30 - 6 p.m.||Seminar 3|
|6 - 7 p.m.||Dinner provided|
|7 - 9 p.m.||Seminar 4 and Wrap-Up|
|7 - 8 a.m.||Continental Breakfast provided|
|8 - 8:30 a.m.||Check out of hotel (leave personal vehicles in hotel parking lot)|
|8:30 a.m.||Board mini-bus and depart to Saratoga National Historical Park|
|9:30 a.m. - 12 p.m.||Battlefield tour - Part I:|
|12 - 1 p.m.||Lunch provided at Battlefield Visitors Center|
|1 - 3:30 p.m.||Battlefield tour - Part II:|
|3:30 p.m.||Depart back to hotel via mini-bus|
|4:30 p.m.||Arrive back to hotel parking lot to retrieve personal vehicles - Residency Complete|
- two-day residency in the vicinity of Saratoga Springs, including a one-day field trip to the Saratoga National Historical Park
- survey the history of the American Revolutionary era from the end of the Seven Years War until the end of the War of 1812
- learning activity done in conjunction with a four-credit course
- This residency, combined with a 4-credit course in this area, fulfills the SUNY General Education Requirement for American History.
Oct. 23 – 24, 2015
September 2015 Term
- $350 (lodging, dining, travel from hotel to Saratoga National Historical Park)
- tuition, college fees and textbooks are additional
For More Information